🎙️Show Notes for Episode 098 - Consulting vs. ContractingJan 25, 2023
I talk to so many independent consultant business owners who say their business is shifting from the work they intended to do, which is consulting, to more of a staff augmentation role.
And, they don’t want to be stuck feeling like a pseudo-employee where they have less autonomy are are doing work that isn’t fulfilling or challenging.
You may be having the same experience.
So today, I want to share with you the three main reasons why you’re landing contracting roles instead of consulting engagements.
I give you guiding questions with each one of these 3 reasons, to help you to overcome the root cause so that you're feeling truly like the consultant that you want to be and you're in a place where you feel like that autonomous firm who's partnering with your clients.
Key points in this episode:
- [00:20] Why your stuck in staff augmentation type roles
- [01:37] Today's agenda
- [04:52] Take the Independent Consultant’s Offer Scorecard
- [09:33] 3 root causes of getting stuck in staff augmentation
- [10:35] How you think about yourself
- [10:37] How you think about your clients
- [10:40] How you think about your business
- [11:48] Guiding questions to build your consultant’s mindset
- [11:51] HOW YOU THINK ABOUT YOURSELF
- How am I thinking of myself as a contractor?
- Who am I as a consultant?
- [22:13] HOW YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR CLIENTS
- How is the way I’m thinking about my clients putting me in the “contractor”/staff aug zone?
- As a consultant, how do I think about my clients?
- [29:30] HOW YOU THINK ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS
- How am I thinking about my business that’s creating a staff aug result?
- Future self: how do I think about my business now that I no longer take on staff aug work?
- [34:40] Three next steps to put this episode in to action
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE —
- Click here to take the Independent Consultant’s Offer Scorecard
- I invite you to book a Strategy Consultation call with me. On this call, we'll dive into your business, get clear on your goals and challenges and determine an action plan for you so that you can create the business impact, income, and flexibility that you desire. To book yours, click here.
FOR MORE RESOURCES SPECIFIC TO THE INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT —
- Discuss working with me as your coach - Click here to schedule your consultation
- Watch my YouTube Podcast Channel
RATE, REVIEW, & FOLLOW ON APPLE PODCASTS –
If you love the content that I am providing, please consider rating and reviewing my show! This helps me support more people — just like you — to create a growing, profitable IC business.Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode.