The 6 C's To Create Predictable Consulting RevenueMay 20, 2022
Have you been struggling to create predictability in your consulting business?
Sometimes you have too much work and feel like you're on the verge of burning out.
And then other times, you worry about where the next client will come from.
The question I hear from so many independent consultants is - how can I create predictability in my consulting business so I don't have to endure these ups and downs?
Most consultants think the answer is some kind of fancy business development or marketing strategy.
That's not it.
You might be surprised to learn the 6 pillars you'll want to implement, in order to create predictability and peace of mind for your IC business.
Before We Dive In
Before we dive into this topic, I recommend you click here to download the workbook.
Predictability Pillar #1 - Clarity
To create more predictability, you want to be clear on your service offerings and your business plan so that your ideal clients seek you out for what you do.
To create clarity, start by answering these questions:
Your Service Offering(s)
- What do you do?
- Who is your ideal client?
- Why does your ideal client care about the problems you solve?
- What's the value proposition?
- What stands in your way of specializing?
Your Business Plan
- What is your 3-5 year vision?
- Do you have a 2022 goal?
- Does your revenue plan match your 2022 goal?
- Does your capacity plan match your revenue plan?
Predictability Pillar #2: Commitment
To create more predictability in your independent consulting business, you want to ensure you're fully committed.
Without commitment, you waste energy second-guessing and playing "what if" scenarios.
I recommend testing and strengthening your commitment frequently by asking the following three questions:
- On a scale of 1-10, how committed are you to your business goals?
- What would make it a 10?
Predictability Pillar #3: A High-Quality Connection to Money
This pillar is almost always the difference between the IC business owners who are able to create and maintain growth and predictability and the IC business owners who continue to suffer through highs and lows.
To begin uncovering where your own money beliefs could be creating stagnation and an income ceiling for you, start by asking yourself:
- What are your money beliefs?
- How do those money beliefs limit your results?
- Are those money beliefs still true for you as a business owner (as compared to you as an employee)?
- What is your current money ceiling? Why?
Predictability Pillar #4: Confidence
To create more predictability in your independent consulting business, you want to cultivate your confidence.
Many of us think confidence comes from achieving our goals, or from client accolades, or from landing a new, prestigious client engagement.
And when you think you need to accomplish something before you've earned confidence, you have it backwards.
Confidence comes first.
Confidence creates the results.
You have to give yourself permission ahead of time to feel confident, in order to create the predictability and results you desire.
To cultivate this confidence, add these questions into your Independent Consultanting business owner routine:
- On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that you'll ________________ (e.g. land the next contract; hit your revenue goal)?
- What would make it a 10?
Pillar #6: Capacity To Have
And the final predictability pillar for your consulting business is the capacity to have.
This is being able to be successful and grow AND to know that you'll most likely experience imposter syndrome, guilt, and fear as you progress. If you can learn to embrace and manage these emotions without sabotaging yourself, this is key.
Here are several questions to use in identifying areas of opportunity as it relates to your capacity to have:
- What are your thoughts about success?
- In what ways do you fear (too much) success?
- Think of a past example when you self-sabotaged. What were you thinking & feeling that led to it?
- What are you self-sabotaging now? What might this be protecting you from?
The secret to creating predictability in your independent consulting business is to cultivate and strengthen your business owner mindset and identity. When you approach your business from this perspective, you'll:
- Make better decisions
- Increase your influence with current and potential clients
- Get more creative and impactful with your business development processes
- Come across as in command
- Become sought after for what you do
- Take the Independent Consultant's Business Predictability Assessment at www.ic-scorecard.com.
- Listen to Episode 062 of the Grow Your Independent Consulting Business Podcast, where I walk you through each of these 6 pillars with examples and more detail on how to put them into practice. Click here to listen on Apple
- Click here to download the 6 Predictability Pillars Companion Guide/Workbook.